Spike’s Challenge Race
JULY 22 & 23 , 2023
Sponsored by: Spike’s Keg ‘O’ Nails of Grayling
The race is held the weekend prior to the Consumers Energy AuSable River Canoe Marathon and runs from the streets of Grayling to McMasters Bridge. Time trials for starting position are held on Saturday in the Grayling City Park pond. The C-1 Race is on Saturday night and runs from Borcher’s Canoe Livery to Burton’s Landing. The C-2 race is on Sunday where the canoes and teams line up on Ingham Street at 8:30am. The horn sounds at 9:00am and the teams are running towards the Old AuSable Fly Shop for their trek to McMasters Bridge. The purse for this race is $5400.
Held the weekend before the Consumers Energy AuSable River Canoe Marathon, Spike’s Challenge includes a C-1 Race, C-2 Race, Junior and Fledging Races and Mentor Race.
The C-2 Race (Grayling to McMasters) is held on Sunday morning and feautres a Le-Mans style start. Teams line up on Ingham Street at 8:30am and the race starts at 9:00. Sprints are held on Saturday to determine starting positions for the C-2 teams. Teams that do not participate in the sprints will start in the last row.
The C-1 Race is held on Saturday night and ends at Burton’s Landing.
Lunch and Awards Banquet is held on Sunday at 2:00pm in the Grayling City Park Pavilion – bring a lawn chair. Lunch provided by Spike’s Keg ‘O’ Nails of Grayling.
Schedule of Events
Saturday July 22, 2023
- Registration for all Spike’s Challenge events will run from 8am until 2pm at the Grayling City Park Pavilion. These events include C-1 Race, C-2 Race, Junior and Fledgling Races, Mentor Races, etc.
- Early registration is appreciated. Please complete the C-2 Entry Form and/or C-1 Entry Form along with the waiver and mail it to John and Cheryl Lucey or drop it at the Grayling Marathon Office. Both paddlers must still sign in at the table in order to get a sprint position. Early registrants not sprinting must sign in by Sunday at 8:15am in Joe Wakeley’s garage. There will be no registration on Sunday July 23, 2023. All registrations must be received by Saturday July 22, 2023.
- Schedule of Events
- Sprint Course Map
- Sprint Rules
- Sprints for starting position at Grayling City Park Pond. Participants will sprint in the order in which they register or sign-in at the registration table. There will be a 10-minute break between each heat of 10 sprints. There will be two teams on the sprint course at a time. Teams may look over the course during the breaks. (See Sprint Rules)
- (Optional) Junior, Fledgling, Mentor races on the Grayling City Park Pond
- Registration continues for all races at Joe Wakeley’s yard. No dogs are permitted on Joe’s yard.
- C-1 pre-race, Barton Cup Qualifier, Junior C-2 race to Burton’s Landing.
- Start of Junior C-2 race to Burton’s Landing
- Start of the C-1 race and Barton Cup Qualifier
Sunday July 23, 2023
- Line up of the C-2 start of the Spike’s Challenge on Ingham Street.
- Teams will line up based on their sprint time from Saturday. Those who did not sprint will start in the last row.
- Start of the C-2 Spike’s Challenge
- Start of the C-1 Barton Cup Qualifier – if not run on Saturday.
- Lunch and Awards Banquet at the Grayling City Park Pavilion – bring a lawn chair. Lunch provided by Spike’s Keg ‘O’ Nails of Grayling.