ATTENTION AuSable Marathon competitors and fans! Here are two very important announcements and two requests for critically needed volunteer assistance. Please read!!
– Announcement #1: The time for the Introduction of the Paddlers during the pre-race program on Saturday, July 29, has been moved up significantly, to 6:30 p.m. If you are planning to attend the pre-race festivities or, you know those who are, please pass this along! The paddler intros are usually later in the program; this should be just a one year change due to construction at the schools (where the canoes are sequestered). The Introduction of Paddlers is a MANDATORY event for the paddlers!!
– Announcement #2: Due to space concerns, the Pre-Race Briefing and Paddler’s Social have been moved to the Ramada Inn. The Pre-Race Briefing will still take place at 5:30 pm, with hors d’oeuvres to follow. A cash bar will be available. Canoe sequester will remain at the Elementary School, NOT the Middle School as has been the case in the past. The Elementary School is located near the hospital – 306 Plum Street, Grayling, MI 49738
– Volunteer Request #1: Drivers with a vehicle and a 2-inch hitch are needed for two separate tasks transporting the mobile light towers that are used to illuminate the bridges and Mio Dam for spectators. Volunteers for each of the two tasks will receive a $50 gas card.
1. Pick up the light towers in Williamsburg (near Traverse City) on Friday, July 28, and transport them to Grayling. Also, return the light towers from Grayling to Williamsburg on Monday, July 31.
2. Each light tower needs to be picked up in Grayling on Saturday, July 29, then delivered to an assigned race course location, set up and operated until all teams have passed through and then returned to Grayling.
– Volunteer Request #2: The Media Subcommittee is looking for additional assistance with two tasks.
1. A guide for a television crew(s) covering the Marathon. Very good knowledge of the race course and about the access to the viewing locations is required.
2. An additional team (2 or more working together) to assist in creating the live or nearly-live (shoot and upload) video coverage of the race that appears on Facebook.
Please, respond to the volunteer requests by a private message on the Marathon’s Facebook page, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org