Welcome to the 2016 Paddler Information Page: Below are the Entry Packet, Rules, and other information for the Registered Paddler. The Entry Fee is in U.S. Dollars only.
|Entry Type||Entry Deadline||Entry Fee|
|Early Entry Registration||Postmarked by Friday, July 1, 2016||$220 USD|
|Main Entry Registration||Received by Friday, July 15, 2016||$320 USD|
|Late Entry Registration||Received by 12-noon Monday, July 25, 2016||$420 USD|
Check-In Deadlines for All Contestants:
- For participants scheduled to do their Time Trial Wednesday, the check-in deadline is Wednesday, July 27 at 2:00 p.m.
- For participants scheduled to do their Time Trial Thursday, the check-in deadline is Thursday, July 28 at 2:00 p.m.
- For all other participants, the check-in deadline is Friday, July 29 at 12:00 noon.
- Contestants who fail to check in by the deadline will be assessed an additional late check-in fee of $200. They may be subject to an additional penalty at the discretion of the committee. Contestants who fail to check in by 2 p.m. on Friday will be disqualified. Refer to Rule #2.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants must check-in prior to the listed deadlines. Check-in begins on Saturday July 23, 2016, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the City Park Pavilion during the Spike’s Challenge Race check-in. Then from Monday July 25, 2016 at the Marathon office in the Grayling Mini-Mall: Monday—Tuesday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 12 noon.
Mandatory Events for Contestants:
- Be present for the Pre-Race briefing and qualifying Canoe Inspection, Friday at 5:30 pm at the Ramada Inn.
- Be present for the Introduction of Marathon Paddlers at 7:00 p.m. Saturday night during the Pre-race Program.
- Teams which do not attend required events listed above are subject penalty. (see Marathon Rules)
Competing teams are expected to recruit their own sponsors for the Marathon. A limited number of $100 paddler sponsorships will be made available by the volunteer organizing committee to teams which are unable to obtain their own sponsors. Priority is given to out-of-state teams.
Time Trial Course Closed to Competitors:
The Time Trial course will be closed to ALL competitors for practice during the Time Trials. Violations will be subject to a 2 minute Time Trial penalty. Time Trial course buoys will be set at least two hours before the event each day. Competitors wishing to look over the course are encouraged to do so at that time. Teams which fail to participate in the Time Trials will start in the back row.
Official Measuring of Canoes:
Official measuring of the canoes will be available at the Time Trials on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. A decal will be placed on the canoe by the Race Committee if the canoe meets all the required specifications outlined in the rules and entry packet. All canoes must be presented for inspection (life jackets and whistles) between 2:00 and 5:00 pm on Friday and 9:00 till noon on Saturday, at the Grayling Middle School Gym.
Paddlers Must Provide Their Own Feeders:
Teams are responsible for providing their own feed teams. Contestants may receive food, water and extra paddles during the race. Teams must carry the canoe, at least two (2) size appropriate life jackets, two (2) pea-less type whistles and at least two (2) paddles through all portages, and committee provided GPS tracker. Feeders may convey any equipment, i.e. paddles, as long as the contestants convey the minimum equipment as listed above. No one is allowed to help convey or advance a contestant, canoe and/or the specified equipment. Feeders may stabilize a canoe during a feed, however, a “push-off” after feeds or portages and/or aiding the forward motion of the canoe at any time is not allowed. Canoes may be removed from the river by the contestants for repairs or due to illness or injury, but must reenter the river at the point of exit. All repairs must be performed by the contestants. First time feeders should read the Marathon Guide Book for more information and study the Race Rules.
Cut Off Times:
Teams that do not reach the listed below locations by the posted race time will be disqualified.
|Camp Ten Bridge||6:30|
|Five Channels Dam||14:15|
Notes To Feeders:
Credentials will be given out on Friday at the Pre-race briefing. Due to the large number of entered teams, we will limit the number of vehicles and feeders in certain areas; there will be numbered wrist bands and two different colors of car passes. Only one color will be allowed in certain parking lots and access points. This will be strictly enforced.