69th Annual AuSable River Canoe Marathon July 26th – 31st, 2016
Presented by Consumers Energy
Media Resources & Contact Information
Dear Media Representative,
On behalf of the volunteer organizing committee, we welcome you to 69th Annua lAuSable River Canoe Marathon – Since 1947, One of the Greatest Canoe Races on Earth! We are pleased that Consumer’s Energy is continuing their role as our Presenting Sponsor for this amazing event. Throughout the 68-year history of the AuSable Marathon, Consumers Energy has been a key partner in staging the race, readily making their six hydroelectric-dam portages available to the competitors and the fans. In recent years, their financial support has been a key factor in the continuing growth and improvement of this world-class event.
More than 95 teams from throughout the United States and Canada are entered in the Marathon. The thrilling Le-Mans style run to the river starts at 9:00 p.m. on Saturday night, July 30th, in Grayling. The lead with teams will reach their first portage at the Consumers Energy Mio Dam at around 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, July 31st; all teams must reach Mio Dam by 4:00 a.m. to remain in the race. We are generally able to provide contact information for competitors from your area. A PDF format up-to-date entry list with detailed competitor info & stats can be accessed and downloaded: Go to the 2016 Entries page on the website, then select “Click Here to Download Detailed Stats of the Paddlers”.
We truly appreciate the media exposure you provide and hope you will enjoy this year’s race. Current press releases plus, social media , video and photo resources and more are linked below. Please notify us if you plan to cover the race this year. You will need the parking pass and media badge included in the media packet to gain access to certain locations. The media kit also contains a program book, entry list and all of the press releases.
Click here download a complete Schedule of Events for the AuSable River Festival and Canoe Marathon. AuSable Canoe Marathon Week kicks off in Oscoda at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon, July 26 with the Consumers Energy $5,000 Da$h For Ca$h. The Da$h for Ca$h is a 64-team bracket-style, single elimination, “drag-racing” event to be held at the Finish Line in Oscoda. Action continues Wednesday through Friday in Grayling at the Time Trial Sprints for starting position. Much like Indy or NASCAR qualifying, each team sprints a looped course, with their sprint time determining their starting position in the lineup for the Saturday night’s 9:00 pm. thrilling LeMans-style run the river that starts the main event. The Pre-Race program starts at 6:00 p.m. Saturday night, July 31, leading up to the start of the race.
If you have any questions or requests or, if are looking for story lines for this year’s race, please contact our Communications Director:
- Steve Southard – 989-390-6506 firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Media Email: media@AuSableCanoeMarathon.org
- Race Office 989-348-4425 AuSable River International Canoe Marathon, Inc. (ARICM), P.O. Box 911, Grayling, MI 49738
- Press Release – .docx – AuSable River Canoe Marathon 7-27-16
- Press Release – PDF – AuSable River Canoe Marathon 7-27-16
AuSable Marathon Photo & Video Resources
- AuSable Marathon logos and a PDF graphic of the AuSable River Canoe Marathon race course plus, photos and video are posted in the AuSable Marathon’s Media Assets folder on Google Drive. Photos and videos may be use with attribution.
- Video uploads on the AuSable Marathon YouTube Channel may be embeded and may also be downloaded and used with attribution & links to the Marathon YouTube Channel and to the Marathon website: www.AuSableCanoeMarathon.org
- Additional photos posted in albums on the AuSable Marathon Facebook page may be used with attribution
AuSable Marathon Social Media Resources #HupAllNight @AuSableMarathon
- Online GPS Map Tracking of the race in progress
- AuSable River Canoe Marathon on Facebook – #HupAllNight
- AuSable River Canoe Marathon Twitter Feed – @AuSableMarathon #HupAllNight
- AuSable River Canoe Marathon on Instagram – @AuSableMarathon #HupAllNight
- AuSable River Canoe Marathon on Snapchat – @AuSableMarathon #HupAllNight
- AuSable River Canoe Marathon YouTube Channel