Photo courtesy of Sawyer Harris
July 20 – 21, 2019
- John & Cheryl Lucey
- 3979 E Beaver Island Rd.
- Grayling, MI 49738
- 989-348-0148 email@example.com
Thanks to Spike’s Keg ‘O’ Nails for Sponsoring this race! Please support your race sponsor!
The race is held the weekend prior to the AuSable River Canoe Marathon and runs from the streets of Grayling to McMasters Bridge. Time trials for starting position are held on Saturday in the City Park pond. The C-1 Race is on Saturday night and runs from Borcher’s Canoe Livery to Burton’s Landing. The C-2 race is on Sunday where the canoes and teams line up on Ingham Street at 8:30 am. The horn sounds at 9:00 am and the teams are running towards the Old AuSable Fly Shop for their trek to McMasters Bridge.
Schedule of Events
Saturday July 20, 2019
- Registration for all Spike’s Challenge Events will run from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the City Park Pavilion. These events include C-1 Race, C-2 Race, Junior and Fledgling Races, Mentor Races etc.
- Early Registration is appreciated. Please complete the C-2 Entry Form and/or C-1 Entry Form along with the Waiver and mail to the above address or drop it at the Grayling Marathon Office. Both paddlers must still sign in at the table in order to get a sprint position. Early registrants not sprinting must sign in by Sunday at 8:15 AM in Joe Wakeley’s Garage. There will be no registrations on Sunday July 21, 2019. All registrations must be received by Saturday July 20, 2019.
- Schedule of Events
- Sprint Course Map
- Sprint Rules
- Race Course Map
- Sprints for Starting Position on City Park Pond – Participants will sprint in the order in which they register or sign-in at the registration table. There will be a 10-Minute break between each heat of 10 sprints. There will be two teams on the sprint course at a time. Teams may look over the course during the breaks. (See Sprint Rules)
- (Optional) Junior, Fledgling, Mentor races on the Pond
- Registration continues for all races at Joe Wakeley’s yard. Please, No dogs in Joe’s Yard.
- C-1 pre-race, Barton Cup Qualifier, Junior C-2 Race to Burton’s Landing.
- Start of Junior C-2 Race to Burton’s Landing
- Start of the C-1 race and Barton Cup Qualifier
Sunday July 21, 2019
- Line up of the C-2 Start of the Spike’s Challenge on Ingham Street.
- Teams will line up based on their sprint time from Saturday. Those who did not sprint will start in the last row.
- Start of the 2019 C-2 Spike’s Challenge
- Start of the C-1 Barton Cup Qualifier – if not run on Saturday.
- Lunch and Awards Banquet at the City Park Pavilion – bring a lawn chair.